Sunday, May 24, 2009

Tasmania, 1 week Mar 09

Three of us had a gorgeous week in Tassy from 7 - 15 March. The weather cleared on arrival and it just never faded for the week.

The itinerary was non - existent. We were to fit in with the weather and as it happened we could have gone anywhere and done anything.

We decided to visit Pine Valley, for us a 3 hour walk from Narcissus, and from there do day walks to the Acropolis and the Labyrinth. On arrival, via ferry, at Narcissus we met groups finishing the Overland track, this their last day was the only day in 5 days that they had seen anything. Due to a long weekend in Tasmania the Pine Valley was pretty full with about 20 odd camped up on the Labyrinth for the weekend. The hut at night time was full of people talking comparing notes on interesting walks and places.

Monday we climbed the Acropolis. There was some cloud around on the summits early but by the time we were on top, about 12.30, it was a beautiful fine day with the summit much to ourselves. We spent the time identifying out the peaks to the north and south. On the way back down we met a group of 4 young ladies on the way up and later 2 young gentlemen, who were carrying no emergency gear, still with a way to go. The round trip for the day was about 8 hours for us oldies.

Tuesday was to the Labyrinth. We intended going as far up Walled Mountain as we thought we had time for. By lunch time we had archived a reasonable height and from a clear rocky spot had wonderful views out over the South West. Frenchman’s Cap stood out with a dusting of snow left over from the previous weeks weather. After lunch we headed across towards the Pool of Memories admiring the many pools and reflections along the way.

My mate wanted to have a different walking experience for the next part of our Tassy experience so on Wednesday we headed towards Tasman Peninsula. We intended to head out to Cape Pillar for a overnighter but on meeting the Ranger at Fortescue Bay we were informed there was no water available out there and the they were importing water into the campground at the Bay. We headed across for an easy over nighter to Bivouac Bay with a pleasant afternoon walk along the cliff track towards Waterfall Bay.

Friday was back to the main camp and a walk out to Cape Hauy so Lance could entertain Bruce with stories of the days when he climbed the Totem Pole. Another gorgeous day sitting at the tip watching the marine and bird life along the coast.

Saturday was a return to Hobart with a stop at a small coastal village to survey a possible walk for future trips but the wether was changing with some cool winds and overcast skies and a little drizzle.

For us that was the end of another wonderful week in Tasmania with a week of perfect weather.

For some photos of the trip visit my Flickr site

No comments:

Post a Comment